Richard L. Wigginton
"Don't come too close to Wigginton with a handgun. He'll take your weapon from you & disassemble it."
-KEN HACKATHORN: PRACTICAL FIREARMS TRAINING
"He is perhaps the most knowledgeable and effective weapons disarming instructor in the nation."
-THE BEST DEFENSE:AMERICAN KARATE MAGAZINE, SEPT.1988
Professor Richard L. Wigginton is one of the nation’s highest ranked martial arts masters and one of the foremost weapons & tactics trainers. As a consultant & trainer of unarmed & armed defensive tactics, non-lethal & lethal force, security & executive protection consultant, operative & trainer, his clientele reads like a who’s who & has included members of
- U.S Treasury Dept. Firearms Instructors
- U.S. Secret Service Training Director & Presidential Security Detail
- Drug Enforcement Administration
- U.S. Justice Department U.S. Border Patrol
- Bureau of Immigration & Naturalization Service Special Agents, Defensive Tactics & Firearms Instructors
- U.S.M.C. Inspectors & Instructor Staff
- U.S. Army Special Forces
- International Police Training Association
- International Practical Shooting Co-federation
- Federal Firearms Instructors
- State & Municipal Police, Correctional, Parole & Court Officers
- U.S. Army Intelligence: Office of Naval Intelligence.
As a lecturer & demonstrator his personal appearance include
- Madison Square Garden
- The Felt Forum
- The Manhattan Center
- Sunnyside Gardens
- Nassau Coliseum
- The Philadelphia Civic Center
- The Spectrum
- Center for the Performing Arts
- The Berean Institute
- The Haranbi Institute
- University of Illinois
- Temple University
- Villanova University
- U.S. Naval Hospital, Philadelphia, PA.
- U.S. Army Hospital, Valley Forge, PA.
- Veterans Administration Hospital, Coatesville, PA.
- Philadelphia Center for Gymnastics and Martial Arts
and numerous events hosted by
- Aaron Banks
- George A. Dillman
- Francisco Conde
- James K. Roberts
- Ronald Duncan
- Jim L. Morell
- Charles Davis
- Roberts B. Mac Ewen, Jr.
- Will Daniel
- Robert Benson
- Frank Barrier
- Nathaniel Sparrow
- Robert Teller
- Timothy R. Robinson
- and many others.
Television appearances include
- ABC’s Wide World of Sports
- Hudson Valley Today
- The Way of the Warrior
- and various news features.
Professor Wigginton has been a professional published author and contributing editor since 1973. Wigginton’s articles, commentaries and interviews span seven publishing groups, numerous magazine titles, specials and various newspapers.
Professor Wigginton’s background in martial arts & related fields spans 47 years. He has served as Executive Vice President for a major martial arts organization, National Director of a second and Founder-Director of a third.
1992: Designed, engineered & developed “The Liberator” defensive flashlight adapter & training programs.
1988: Defense Science Institute (DSI) Established.
1983: Founder & director: American Asian Martial Arts Federation (AAMAF) Dai-Nippon Ju-Jitsu Kai.
1983: Mokuroku Shihan: Koga-Ryu Shinobi-No-Jutsu (Ninjutsu)
3/9/82: Kyoju (Professor) Japanese Martial Arts/Ways Bugei/Budo
5/5/82: Doctor of Philosophy: University of Oriental Philosophy of the Asian Martial Arts
1/24/83: Mokuroku Kaiden: Daiken Kempo
1/24/83: Mokuroku Kaiden: Okugi Ryu Aiki-Jutsu
1/5/82: Menkyo Shihan: Oikiru Ryu Kobu-Jutsu
2/1/82: Hachidan Hanshi 8th Degree Black Belt: Oikiru Ryu Aiki-Ju-Jutsu: Hombu Division Head: Senior International Master Instructor
5/5/82: Shichidan Shihan 7th Degree Black Belt: Oikiru Ryu Kempo Jutsu
2/18/82: Godan Shihan 5th Degree Black Belt: Oikiru Ryu Kempo Jutsu
3/9/82: Godan Shihan 5th Degree Black Belt: Goju Kempo Karate-Do
9/11/82: 1st Master’s Seminar: International Police Academy Monadnock PR-24 baton certified
8/30/82: Hanshi Master Teacher United Kenpo Association
7/11/74: Godan Renshi 5th Degree Black Belt: American Bushido Martial Arts Federation: Executive Vice President
1974: Gold Medal Weapons Grand Champion: All Japan Karate-Do Federation Tournament: Students captured Silver & Bronze
6/1/72: Yondan Renshi 4th Degree Black Belt: American Bushido Martial Arts Federation
5/23/71: Sandan 3rd Degree Black Belt: American Bushido Martial Arts Federation
1970-71: Kyokushinkai-kan Karate-Do Nakamura Sensei
1971: Chito-Ryu Karate-Do All Japan Karate-Do Federation: Dometrich Sensei
1969-70: Shotokan Karate-Do Shuto Karate Club: Rabouin Sensei: East Coast Karate Association-Okazaki Sensei:
1971: Shodan 1st Degree Black Belt: Nihon Honbu Aikido McGuire AFB Aiki-Kai: McGuire AFB Judo Club: Decker Sensei
1969: USMC Representative National Open Karate Championships USMC Close Combat Instructor Judo: Aikido: Kempo: Chen-Na: Chi-Chi-Ssu: Troi Sensei Hakkoryu Ju-Jutsu: Kondei: Gakko Kempo: Kobu-Jutsu: Koga Ryu Nin-Jutsu: Duncan Sensei
1966: Shodan: Combat Ju-Jutsu: Williams Shoto-Kai & Shorin-Ryu Karate-Do: Sergeant B.J. Wall & R.P. Best Sensei(s)
1958: Began Ju-Jutsu, Close Combat & Weapons training: Williams Sensei
Wigginton is a member of
- Veterans of Foreign Wars
- American Legion
- A Former Marine Corps League Officer
- Legion of Honor Recipient Chapel of The Four Chaplains
- National Rifle Association
- Veterans Administration Voluntary Services
and has received numerous awards for contributions to veterans.
1996: Detective’s Endowment Association Police Department City of New York
1995: 1996: The Honor Legion Police Departments State of New Jersey Honorary
1995: The Honor Legion Police Department City of New York
1995: New York State Fraternal Order of Police Empire State Lodge, Inc.
Sanctions by members of the
- National Association of Chiefs of Police
- International Training Commission for Law Enforcement Defensive Tactics
- International Board of Criminology.
- U.S. Marine Corps 1966-70: Rank: Sergeant
- U.S. Marine Corps Reserve 1970-75: Rank: Permanent Staff Sergeant
- Acting Gunnery Sergeant
Marine Corps Institute Graduate
- Tactics of the Marine Rifle Squad
- Infantry Battalion Organization, Communication & Crew Served Weapons
- Individual Protective Measures
- Operations Against Guerrilla Units
- Counter Insurgency & Counter Terrorism
- Land Mines & Booby Traps
- The Marine NCO
- Nuclear, Biological & Chemical Warfare
Small Arms Expert
- U.S. Pistol .45 Cal.
- U.S. Rifle 7.62 MM M-14
- U.S. Rifle 5.56 MM M-16
- U.S. Rifle .30 Cal. M-1
- Hackathorn’s Advanced Tactical Handgun June 1988
- PPS Select Fire Submachine Guns Sept. 1988
- Defensive Handgun
- NRA law enforcement pistol & shotgun expert
- Close Quarter Lethal Force Survival & Application
Security & Executive Protection Consultant, Operative, Trainer Clients Have Included
- Grammy Award Winner Grover Washington, Jr.
- Disco Star Evelyn “Champagne” King
- Celebrity Manager Lloyd Zane Remick
- Record Producers & Music Publishers Bunny Sigler & Theodore Life
- Excalibur Associates
- Zane Management Corp.
- Falcone Motors
- Franklin Contractors
Wigginton trained personnel have served in a variety of security & executive protection capacities for such celebrities as
- Frank Sinatra
- George C. Scott
- John Travolta
- The Osmonds
and various corporate accounts including
- General Electric
- Mac Neil Laboratories.